Building strong teams and effective leaders is what we are all about
“Leadership” is in our name, and for more than a decade we’ve been helping leaders like you develop their strengths and build strong, productive, and cohesive teams. We can help you:
- Improve workplace communication and teamwork
- Teach managers how to be more effective
- Enhance your own skills on your way to becoming an even stronger leader
At Starboard we take our work with you seriously. We will begin by listening carefully to you and then tailor our approach to meet your unique needs and goals.
Why leaders choose Starboard:
- Demonstrated results with Maine’s largest businesses and most successful nonprofits – Our clients have been recognized as “Best Places to Work in Maine,” and we can help you do the same.
- Proven tools for assessment and training – Through authorized partnerships with Wiley Publishing’s Everything DiSC® and the Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team™, we are ready to bring you and your organization an array of powerful tools that have been used successfully by thousands of companies worldwide.
- We know team building is not a one-time event – We work with clients who are committed to building their strengths and who know that it takes more than an annual “team building event” to develop high performing teams, leaders, and organizations.
“We identified that our future success and continued growth as a company would depend greatly upon the quality of communication among our employees. Working with Starboard has brought countless benefits to CES, including being named one of the ‘Best Places to Work in Maine’ and receiving several project awards over the past couple years.”
– Denis St. Pierre, President/CEO of CES, Inc.
Create more effective working relationships
Organizations that thrive in challenging times do so because they are constantly working to build the strengths of their leaders, their managers and their teams. That work almost always begins by focusing on developing effective working relationships throughout the organization and implementing strategies to improve workplace communication and teamwork.
We will meet with you to listen, to learn, and to assess what approaches and strategies make the most sense for you and your organization. A great starting point for any organization is often the Everything DiSC Workplace, a simple tool designed to help you build more effective working relationships based on an understanding of different behavioral styles. Everything DiSC Workplace is not a test or a teambuilding exercise—it is a personality assessment that can be used with everyone in an organization, regardless of title or role, to improve the quality of the workplace.
Using the results of the Everything DiSC Workplace assessment as the foundation for our work together, our Starboard consulting team will develop a personalized learning experience to help you and your team:
- Appreciate the styles of those with whom you work
- Develop effective and productive working relationships
- Communicate more effectively
- Implement strategies to keep the shared learning and its benefits “alive” every day in your workplace.
Click here to download a sample Everything DiSC Workplace report
Help your managers be more effective and bring out the best in others
Leaders will tell you that the most challenging aspect of the job—and often the most rewarding—is managing people. If they were lucky, those leaders received training in management skills and got the coaching they needed in order to be effective managers. More often than not, however, they’ve learned by trial and error, figuring it out along the way and taking lessons from every success and from every failure.
At Starboard we believe that developing effective managers doesn’t have to be a trial and error process of on-the-job training. We’ve worked with multiple organizations and their managers—new managers and those who’ve been at it for years—to offer research based assessments, personalized feedback, and customized training programs. Maine’s most successful corporations and nonprofit organizations have turned to us to provide the kind of tailored management training that can’t be found anywhere else.
As authorized Everything DiSC partners, we use the Everything DiSC Management tool. This research based assessment provides management specific, personalized content to each manager and offers insights into their own behavioral styles and how they can use that knowledge to more effectively work with and manage others.
Using a multi-session format that provides participants with time between sessions to implement lessons learned, we offer interactive sessions, as well as individual follow-up on:
- Directing and delegating
- Improving employee motivation
- Employee development
- Working with your manager
In short, if you are looking to build or enhance your own management skills or those of your management team, we can bring you proven tools, strategy, and consulting support to help you accomplish your goals.
Click here to download a sample Everything DiSC Management profile
Leadership development with you in mind
Our belief is that leaders need to understand themselves, their leadership styles, and how their behaviors impact others. We have the proven assessment tools you need and the experience required to help you use that knowledge to improve your leadership effectiveness.
In our work with leaders, we employ two-tools for creating a personalized learning experience and providing your with meaningful and helpful feedback that you can put to work immediately:
- Everything DiSC Work of Leaders® is classroom training that uses online pre-work, engaging facilitation with contemporary video, and online follow-up to create a personalized learning experience. Based on best practices, Work of Leaders connects unique leadership styles to real-world demands, generating powerful conversations that provide a clear path for action.
Everything DiSC Work of Leaders approaches leadership as a one-to-many relationship, as opposed to the one-to-one relationship explored in Everything DiSC® Management. It focuses on tangible steps directed at leading a group or organization toward desired outcomes.
- Everything DiSC 363 for Leaders is an assessment tool that has been developed with input from more than 300 subject-matter experts at over 150 organizations. We know that successful leaders appreciate feedback on their performance and insights on what they can do to improve their leadership effectiveness. A 360 evaluation is often the tool of choice, but for many leaders 360s can be a frustrating experience. Open-ended comments can be unfocused and unhelpful and can even derail the learning process. That is why we’ve turned to Wiley Publishing and their Everything DiSC 363 for Leaders.
Everything DiSC 363 for Leaders isn’t a collection of dry spreadsheets and charts without any explanation or story. Clear visuals and a conversational narrative style interpret and explain the data, making the report easy to understand and use. It combines the best of 360s with the simplicity and power of DiSC and provides the leader with three personalized strategies for improving leadership effectiveness. The result is a 360° experience that’s more productive and satisfying.
Both Everything DiSC Work of Leaders and Everything DiSC 363 for Leaders focus on the tangible steps you can take to be a more effective leader:
- Understand your own leadership styles and how it impacts your effectiveness
- Connect your unique leadership style to the real-world demands of your job
- Generate powerful conversations that provide a clear path for action.
Click here to download a sample Everything DiSC Work of Leaders profile
Click here to download a sample Everything DiSC 363 for Leaders report
“I engaged Starboard in a year-long, multiple-session executive coaching process and found it to be incredibly valuable to my personal growth and development. I have subsequently engaged Starboard to provide coaching for many of the bank’s up-and-coming leaders. I strongly recommend Starboard for any leader who wants to take his or her game to the next level!”
– Larry Barker, CEO of Machias Savings Bank
Proven approaches for building effective teams
Are you a new leader wondering how best to build a strong and cohesive team that is ready to tackle bold initiatives? Or do you simply know that your team could do better and you’re not sure how to help them (and you) make the transition from an okay team to a truly high-performing team? At Starboard we have the experience you need to successfully engage your team in the process of building their effectiveness.
Guiding our work is the Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team™ (based on Pat Lencioni’s best-selling book, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team), an assessment-based learning model for teams that are ready to discover what it takes to become a high-performing team.
For our clients who are ready for the Five Behaviors approach, we offer:
- A proven team assessment that provides you and your team with feedback that is directly relevant to the team’s performance
- Customized facilitation of team “off-sites” to help your team understand and debrief the results of the team assessment, while building trust and committing to an action plan for team improvement
- Follow-up assessment and facilitation to help your team gauge its progress
We believe that the Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team™ is one of the most advanced and powerful team building models available today. We are eager to share it with you.
Click here to download a sample Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team™ report
“I’ve worked with a wide variety of skilled consultants over the years and have found my experience with Starboard Leadership Consulting to be exceptional on every front. I have called on them for leadership training, as well as senior leadership team development, and they have been an amazing partner.”
– Eric Meyer, President of Spurwink Services
Let’s talk (free consultations)
Our Maine clients can count on us to begin every project with a conversation—a conversation that helps us to understand your unique needs and consider how best to assist you. Call now (207) 992-4407 to begin the conversation and learn more.