We make strategic planning manageable
Organizations too often avoid strategic planning because they worry it will be overly complicated or cumbersome, take too much time, or result in little more than a three-ring binder that sits on the shelf. Our strategic planning experience with dozens of clients (both for-profit and non-profit) has demonstrated that successful strategic planning—strategic planning that truly guides the organization into the future—can be accomplished efficiently, in a timely manner, and without gobbling-up staff time.
We know your organization is unique, as are the people who care about it. Instead of presenting a “one-size-fits-all” approach to strategic planning, we spend time getting to know your organization, assessing your needs, and then tailoring a planning process to achieve your desired outcomes and fit your budget. Together we will develop a nonprofit strategic planning or business strategic planning process that meets your timeline, stays reasonable in scope, and delivers effective strategies to guide your organization to future success.
Success is a plan that results in action
“So what will we have when we’re done?” It’s the question we are asked by every strategic planning client.
Our answer is, “You’ll have a plan that truly guides your work, results in action, and delivers measurable results.”
Specifically, when our clients embark upon a comprehensive nonprofit strategic planning or business strategic planning process they can count on the following:
- Agreement on a concise mission statement that makes it clear what your purpose is and what you exist to do.
- A shared vision of where you want to travel together over the next few years and what you want to accomplish by the time you get there.
- A set of “strategic priorities” or goals that will make it clear what you plan to accomplish and that will serve as the framework for your action-planning.
- Measurable objectives that provide specific, quantifiable, realistic targets that measure the accomplishment of your work over a specified period of time.
- Action plans for achieving your objectives that are tied to budget, staff and/or volunteer resources, and timelines.
- A structured monitoring process that ensures that the long-term strategy stays front and center, despite the pressures of the day-to-day.
Along the way we will help you engage your key stakeholders in the process , communicate the details of your plan, and support the successful implementation of a plan that is truly strategic and delivers measurable results.
For nonprofit clients, we’ve written a guide to help you and your board consider the options as you prepare to embark upon a nonprofit strategic planning process: Before You Plan—Strategic Planning Advice for Nonprofits. In addition, we have developed a variety of resources and written extensively about business strategic planning, and you will find several blog posts on strategic planning in the Starboard Blog section of our web site.
Our clients can count on us to begin every project with a conversation—a conversation that helps us to understand your unique needs and consider how best to assist you. Call now (207) 992-4406 to begin the conversation and learn more. All initial consultations are free of charge.